Wednesday, February 17, 2010

yee sang phobia



For those who know not what yee sang is, it is a delicacy eaten during Chinese New Year (unique to Malaysia I heard), filled with multi-coloured crackers, pulps of pomelo, raw fish, and topped with some sour sauce. Sounds like some gastronomical delight, but I assure you it's absolutely horrible =) well at least for me. The history of my distaste for the ostensibly appetite whetting dish dates back to the days when I was a (terribly nasty) child, when a bad case of food poisoning (after eating yee sang duh) changed the course of my life forever. Ok I exaggerated, but you get my point. When I see yee sang, it's like seeing an old pair of socks: smelly, yucky, smelly, smelly. It's a violation of reasoning to eat old socks, hence I dont eat yee sang. Hey, they dont call me genius for nothing ok!

Nonetheless, "lou sang" or tossing the yee sang is considered auspicious so I happily oblige each year to lou sang. It's like tossing your enemy (old socks/yee sang/some one in class) and making them all dizzy muahahahahahahahahaha evilnessss.

CNY was short, but fun. Ever the good student, I paid visit to some teachers from my previous school and extorted money/collected ang pau from them. Realised I may not see them again in near future. Yes, this was probably my last year celebrating CNY in Ipoh, and yes, this emo-ness is contagious.

Then again, I need not eat/see/smell yee sang anymore. YAY!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment